Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://hlaakc.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bring Captioned Movies Back to Kansas City

KANSAS CITY STAR - LETTER TO THE EDITOR (Submitted 9/16/10)

How come the largest movie theater chain in Kansas City stopped showing captioned movies?

I have a hearing loss and need captions in order to understand film dialogue. Local AMC theaters used to show rear-window captioned movies, which required the viewer to place a reflective-mirror device inside the seat’s cup holder and captions from the theater’s back walls reflected onto the glass. A few years ago, I watched an open-captioned version of Mama Mia!, in which the words displayed directly on the film in front of me.

Those days are gone.

Why? "Rear window captioning that functions with our new digital platform will be installed by the end of the month," responded AMC Representative Dan Glennon on July 27. “Studio 30 will actually be the first theatre among our entire chain to have this upgrade completed. Once the device is installed and functioning as expected you will see the ‘CC’ indicators next to the film titles on the internet as well as in the newspaper.”

Still, no captioned movies.

Request that local theaters bring back captions so every Kansas Citian can enjoy films. Updates will be posted at http://hlaakc.blogspot.com.

Shanna Groves
Kansas City Chapter of the Hearing Loss Association of America



**********

KANSAS CITY HLAA CORRESPONDENCE WITH AMC THEATERS


8/02/10 Update

I went a bit further with the person (Dan Glennon) from AMC and explained how CC was misleading to the public and RWC for Rear-window captioning was more suitable. I explained how CC mislead me. If you have time you can read through previous email messages. I suppose if we ever wanted to take it any further, he is happy to set up a meeting.

Terri Shirley
Kansas City HLAA Member

**********

Dan Glennon wrote:

Hi Teri –

I am not sure what you are referring to. I read and responded to your letter this weekend, you will notice the date stamp on the letter’s response as Saturday at 950pm.

I will re-forward following my sending this.

At this time if you would like to further communicate regarding the RWC or CC I would be happy to set up a meeting at the theatre.

Sincerely-

DAN GLENNON

**********

From: Terri Shirley
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 8:34 AM
To: Dan Glennon
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Rear Window Captioning]]

Hi Glen,

You just deleted a message without reading it. I would like you to look at this again and consider changing your listings to RWC from CC.

I would appreciate a response as lots of people are interested in this subject. I know the whole captioning is a lot of extra work and we appreciate it.

Terri

**********

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Rear Window Captioning]
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:51:26 -0500
From: Terri Shirley
To: Dan Glennon

Hi Glen,

I have another issue I would like to ask you about. The "CC" is misleading. "CC" stands for closed captioned. This misrepresentation caused a lot of confusion on my part. If you had RWC and not CC, that would be the correct definition for rear-window captioning.

I would like to tell you what happened to me, then you may understand how "CC" is misleading the public.

My 1st attempt at rear-window captioned movie - First time I went to a "CC" AMC movie, I left wondering why it was not closed captioned. "CC" means closed captioned and no device is needed. Afterwards, I went to the desk to ask why it was not closed captioned. They showed me what the rear-window caption device was.

My 2nd attempt at rear-window captioned movie - Next time I went, I got the device to put in the cup holder, yet it would not show up in the screen. After going back to the customer service desk, they told me I sat too far back for it to be able to reflect off the device. It was too late to move as movie had started and it was dark, plus I was with other people. It was not going to work to move the group of us to someplace closer to the front.

My 3rd attempt at read-window captioned movie - Next time I went I sat up closer to screen. Still no captioning would show up on the device. I was really frustrated with the stupid cup device. I went up to the customer service and asked why it did not work this time. They had a problem. They did not describe it but said she would come in the theater to tell me when it was fixed. Next, they actually stopped the movie and AMC employee came in theater and said they were sorry for disrupting the movie, but the DVD with the captioning was cracked! Can you believe that? Then they started up the movie again with no rear-captions available. It was sort of embarrassing. Customer service gave me two free passes for another movie.

If you had put "RWC" next to movie listing, I would have had to ask what it stood for and then would have been shown the cup device the first time. Then I would perhaps seen the captions the 1st time, instead I left with no idea why Closed Captioned did not show up on the screen.

Out of all this time, I have only seen one rear-window captioned movie. It is better than nothing.

I agree with other hearing-impaired people, putting the rear-window device in my cup holder is the least preferred out of closed captioned, open captions and subtitles. RWC is taking up a cup space, it is bulky and an attention grabber. It does not bother the hearing population, therefore it will most likely continue. Yes, it is better than nothing. I wonder if other theaters across the US have anything else better to offer.

Let me know that you have gotten this and understand how RWC would be better than CC next to the movie listing.

Thank you,
Terri Shirley

7/27/10

Dan Glennon wrote:

My apologies Terri –

To jump straight to the question you posed, rear window captioning that functions with our new digital platform will be installed by the end of the month. Studio 30 will actually be the first theatre among our entire chain to have this upgrade completed. Once the device is installed and functioning as expected you will see the ‘CC’ indicators next to the film titles on the internet as well as in the newspaper.


Thanks again for your patience/ look forward to seeing you in the coming weeks!

DG

913.393.2262
dglennon@amctheatres.com

**********

From: Terri Shirley
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:21 PM
To: Dan Glennon
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Rear Window Captioning]

Hello Glen,

I did not get a response to this. I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you,
Terri

-------- Original Message --------

Subject:
Re: Rear Window Captioning

Date:
Thu, 08 Jul 2010 00:42:26 -0500

From:
Terri Shirley

To:
Dan Glennon


Well, my only thoughts are that since 3D is taking up showtime slots, I figured the time slot for rear window captions were pushed off to the back burner since 3D probably brings in more money for the theater. When you speak of all digital projection format, is that 3D? How long will it be before rear window captioned movies are going to be back on the schedule? Used to be it was only one, maybe two movies to choose from each week at AMC30 and AMC20. Now, neither are offering any movies captioned, so do you have projected date? Again, clear me up on what "all digital projection format" is.

Thank you,
Terri Shirley

Dan Glennon wrote:

Hi Terri –

I am glad to answer your question via email. As our industry transitions to an all digital projection format, some systems have not been updated to interact with this new technology –one of which is Rear Window Captioning.

Being that Studio 30 is one of the premier locations for AMC, when this technology comes available you can be certain we will be one of the first to install it.

In the interim if you have any questions whatsoever, please do drop me a note.

Best -

DG

**********

From: Terri Shirley
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 3:37 PM
To: Dan Glennon
Subject: Re: Rear Window Captioning

Hello Dan,

Since I cannot hear over the phone very well, which is sort of obvious since I need rear window captioning, could you send your reply by email? It is so much easier than me having to call through a relay operator who can't type what you are saying as fast as you can speak. Plus I will not have to play telephone tag or have employees chase you down to get to the phone for a long drawn out phone call with a relay operator on the other end..

Thank you,
Terri Shirley

Dan Glennon wrote:

Terri-

I recently received your questions regarding Rear Window Captioning and would like the opportunity to answer them for you.

Please contact me via the information below at your soonest convenience.

Sincerely -

________________________________________
Dan Glennon| AMC Studio - KC 30 With IMAX #0610 | General Manager |
12075 S. Strang Line Road | Olathe, KS 66062 | (:913.393.3030 | 7: 913.393.2368 | *: dglennon@amctheatres.com

3 comments:

  1. Is there a Regal near you? http://www.captionfish.com/theaters/regal-kansas-city-18-cinemas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, there is one Regal Cinema in Kansas City, but the show times are usually during hours when people work or late at night. We hope to encourage more theaters in our area to show captioned movies at convenient viewing times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading your great blog now, and you are doing super work there in Kansas City. Hope you also decide to join the CCAC, and even if not, enter your advocacy on the public website, so others can be inspired.

    All the best,
    CCACaptioning.org

    ReplyDelete